We know too much stress is bad for us. Although some stress energizes us, too much zaps our motivation, affects our health, and is just not fun.
Don’t be afraid of stress. Drive toward your goals and work hard building your life. But when you are reaching your threshold, and becoming seriously stressed and unhappy — it’s time to get some perspective.
Here are 10 motivational quotes to help you break that cycle of anxiety.
Quotes to Help You Relax
1. “Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax.” –Mark Black
Some people think relaxing is not productive. This is wrong. It can in fact be the most productive thing you do.
When you go 100 mph constantly and are stressing on things, you become stale and frankly just have the illusion of being productive.
So take breaks to relax and have fun. Once you get back to it, you will have a new sense of purpose and enjoy the tasks at hand again. You’ll become much more productive as a result!
2 . “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” ― Confucius
Enjoy the small steps, the little victories. Trying to do everything at once, and feeling bad that you are not there yet just will not work.
Every large accomplishment was made in pieces and steps — sometimes very slowly. So relax and celebrate even very small steps.
3. “I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes, so live not in your yesterdays, not just for tomorrow, but in the here and now. Keep moving and forget the post mortems; and remember, no one can get the jump on the future.” – Carl Sandburg
Stop dwelling on the past. Stop obsessing about the future. Live in the present!
4. “You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.” – Steve Maraboli
Just focus on the things you can control. Be grateful when things go your way, but always accept peacefully that there are just many things you have no control over. So why stress about it?
5. “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” – Buddha
Each day is a fresh start! You are going to have good days and bad days. The good and bad can come from external circumstances or more likely just your mindset that day.
Also, we are physical beings, and sometimes we just may not feel our best. Or we may feel as strong as an ox.
Realize that when things seem bleak one day or week, you could have the best time of your life the next. Work on today, but know that things pass!
6. “Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the most wonderful things that will ever happen to us.” – Nicole Reed
Things that can seem real bad now can end up causing a lot of good things. At the very least they make great stories. Treat life as an adventure, and bad things as a challenge.
7. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” – William James
Sometimes dealing with stress is as easy as creatively framing your thoughts around a given situation to see things in a more positive way.
Try it. First frame your thoughts about a situation in the most negative light (which is how we naturally do it). Then for the same situation construct your thoughts about it with all the positives. Once you see how drastic a difference that makes, you’ll make it a habit to focus on the positives.
8. “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” – Marcus Aurelius
Stop and think about the things you are grateful for. It’s amazing the gifts we have that we take for granted. Even under great hardships there are positive things we fail to see.
9. “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” – Victoria Holt
We are human. We make mistakes and learn. All experiences are useful and instructive — good and bad.
10. “The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.” — Sydney J. Harris
This is a great one to wrap things up with. Let’s face it, if you have lots of time to relax, you probably are bored — which itself is stressful. So a good way to tell you to stop and enjoy some relaxation is when you feel you just cannot stop to do it.